iOS iPAD APP DESIGN
TEAM // 1 Members PLATFORM // iOS
Össur is a medical device manufacturer that specializes in orthopedics and prosthetics. This iPad product showcase served as a sales tool for outside reps to present to potential clients. It housed flagship products and brought interactive elements for product features, video testimonials, and ordering information; something a traditional paper sell sheet couldn’t.
The industry was evolving and Össur was playing catch up. Having always printed their sales tools, the company faced several obstacles:
- Sales reps were having to lug around a trunk full of printed documents to meetings with customers.
- Print costs were increasing and outside reps were careless on ordering, often stockpiling hundreds of documents in their garage but never using them.
- Reps often forgot about what brochures they had or if it was even the most current version. Outdated material circulated for months/years.
Looking at these issues, my team knew we could attack and conquer with a modern approach:
- Limit the amount of brochures that needed to be printed for each product.
- Version control shouldn’t be as difficult as in the past.
- Provide interactivity for customers to engage in.
- House all up to date assets (images, product numbers, videos) in 1 offline location.
I was very lucky to have had the opportunity to oversee this project from beginning to end. My managers wanted a solution that was more than interactive PDF’s and I knew that an app/cloud based solution was the answer. Adobe had recently launched a Digital Publishing Suite that allowed designers to launch an app that they called “Folios”. This was built with little to no app developing and exported all from within inDesign.
I designed 4 apps on this “Folio” platform; each one focusing on a flagship product from both sides of the business. Working with the manager from the newly created Mobile Sales division, we got iPads for each outside rep to ensure that they could sell the Össur products more easily and have the most up-to-date material all in one place.
After a successful pilot program, I was tasked in teaching the other designers from the other markets around the globe on how to develop the app.
The main goal of this app was to bring all of the assets of a single product to one place. This would include brochures, sell sheets, measuring tools, product features, etc… All housed offline with push updates when available.
Having worked with sales reps in the past, I knew that a doctor’s time was limited. The goal was to be able to get your foot in the door and this interactive app was designed to help with that. The “wow factor” was to help give more time to the selling process. If the doctor could become engaged with the iPad, then more time was available to explaining why Össur had a superior product.
- 3D versions allowed users swipe and pan to get a full view of the product.
- Products shown with multiple colors, accessories and options.
- Product features highlighted to explain why it was unique versus the competition.
- Videos and testimonials all on 1 page and stored on the device. No streaming or buffering.
- History/evolution of products to current state.
- Ordering information on the last page as a call to action.